Friday, November 07, 2008

Semakau Island


Today's NE trip is one of the most deeply enriching trip I've ever been! We went to Pulau Semakau! Any idea where's that? It's in Singapore actually, one of the South-west island. To be exact, it's actually a landfill. World's 1st landfill that make use of the sea!

It is really a great refreshing experience, nobody can imagine that Singapore has such a beautiful almost untouched island all made out of the everyday waste of Singaporeans. The place don't look like much but if really offered all of us spledid views that nowhere else in Singapore you could find.

The island is just North of Senang, Pawai and Sudong. The purpose of this place is actually a landfill for the dumping of incenerated wastes produced from mainland. There's another purpose when the whole island is filled up - to convert it into either resort island or golf course. Amazing isn't it?

Needless to say I was very very impressed. It made me wondered if I can buy this island and use it for myself. Haha, of coz until I can get $610 million to buy back what the govenment spent on the infrastructure it'll not be a problem. I'm guessing $1 billion to buy the island AND build it up would be a comfortable sum. Somebody wake me up pls! LOL.

I love the place. I will bring you guys there one day. BB/GB outing. It's opened to public, we can have a tour, they offered us to camp overnight - that means we can get to watch the sunrise and well, the whole island would be free for us to use. We can conduct a Naturalist Stage 1 or Total Defence. End the day with a BBQ in full view of the sunset, now ain't that nice?

It's really one of the rare gems that Singapore has and we have at least until 2025 when the coversion of the island takes place. We gotta visit this place some time!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: